Thanks for your interest in the first annual Midwest GameFest Cosplay Contest! Needless to say, cosplayers and gamers have a lot in common, and we seek to strengthen those bonds with our annual contest.
Tell your friends by sharing this page or our Facebook Event.
We have a limited number of spots. Registration for the cosplay contest will continue until spots are full or that Saturday at 11am.
Note: We will be posting a map before the convention to help contestants figure out where everything will be and where they should go for event sign-ups and more!
Midwest GameFest is offering cash prizes for the Best in Show, Best Beginner, and Best Advanced, as decided by our judges, as well as certificates for a number of other categories. If winners cannot be present to receive their award, the award and prize money will be mailed to them.
We have a distinguished panel of judges for the cosplay contest this year.
Lothlorien Woods Cosplay
Photo courtesy Lothlorien Woods Cosplay
Legendary Rose Cosplay
Photo courtesy Retro Hawk Productions
Photo courtesy Tahnee Lane Photography
Spiff's Nerdy Cosplay
Photo courtesy Spiff's Nerdy Cosplay
All cosplay contestants must follow our standard Cosplay Policies in addition to the following:
- Contestants must have a weekend or Saturday badge in their name. These can be purchased at the event or online.
- Contestants must submit a Contest Entry Form.
- Contestants must be 13 years or older to enter.
- If under 16, contestants must have a legal guardian present.
- If under 18, contestants must have parental permission to enter.
- All cosplays must be completed before Pre-Judging.
- Contestants must check into the cosplay desk Saturday morning.
- Contestants must show up on time for Pre-Judging in order to qualify for the Cosplay Contest. If you sign up before hand you will have to check-in to reserve your spot before 11 a.m. on the Saturday of the contest.
Prejudging sign ups will begin the week before.
- Contestants must show up promptly at scheduled times.
- Contestants must have made at least 80% of their cosplay to enter any category.
- Cosplays can be from any genre: anime, books, comics, games, movies, etc.
- Cosplays must pass the weapons check.
- Cosplay must not have won previous awards. You cannot enter a cosplay that has won Best in Show, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Place in a cosplay contest of any kind. Note: If it has won a minor award such as judges choice that is fine.
- Cosplays will have a maximum of one minute on stage and runway.
- Cosplays can contain no more than three (3) people per group unless approved by the judges.
- Contestants must alert the cosplay judges beforehand if you are going to say or do anything out of the ordinary on stage.
- Contestants may not make religious, political or any other demonstrations that could offend others.
- Contestants must avoid danger to themselves of others. No throwing objects. No fire. No confetti. No fog machines. No Nerf bullets. No shooting or launching objects.
- When on stage contestants will use a three-point system for poses.
- Contestants will have about 35 seconds on stage.
- Contestants may not throw anything to the audience.
- Contestants may not say or yell anything offensive.
- Contestants must remove anything they take on stage with them.
- Cosplay Director Lothlorien Woods will serve as Master of Ceremonies.
- Judges will be both male and female and will be experienced, well-rounded cosplay guests. Each will have years of experience to help judge fairly.
- Judges highly recommended that contestants bring photos of their character as well as work-in-progress photos.
- Cosplays will be judged on accuracy, craftsmanship, stage presence as well as other factors.
- Judges will try to give feedback if requested. Feedback may be both negative (e.g. what could be worked on) and/or positive. They may even have some tips to help the contestant next time around.
- Contestants will be split into either Beginner or Advanced categories based on skill level. If we have enough entered we may add an Intermediate category.
Note: The more entries we have, the more categories and awards will be available. This is so that the ratio of entries to awards stays the same and so that everyone has a fair chance to win an award.
Schedule for Cosplayers
- Contestants will need to sign up or check in by 11 a.m. Saturday morning.
- Pre-Judging times will start in the early afternoon. Don't be late to your time.
- The contest will happen in the late afternoon/ evening. You will need to get there beforehand for practice.
- Awards will happen soon after the cosplay contest.
Note: Look for an official schedule of our Cosplay Events at our event site.
- Our cosplay staff has the right to disqualify anyone for any reason.
- We reserve the right to add modify rules as necessary.